Does your organisation support innovation and entrepreneurs? Then we have the perfect opportunity for you: Organise a Copernicus Hackathon. This brand-new initiative, financed by the European Commmission (EC), will bring together developers, entrepreneurs and topic-specific experts to develop new applications based on Copernicus Earth observation (EO) data and services. For each hackathon, the EC will finance 85% of your costs, up to EUR 20,000.
What could your Copernicus Hackathon look like?
- Create your own hackathon event format! From 24 hours up to one week of team spirit.
- Create an unforgettable training and coding experience with young developers and entrepreneurs
- Choose the thematic area of your hackathon (e.g. agriculture, sustainable development, forestry, raw material…) which best suits your interest
- Ensure that the hackathon is embedded in the local, national and/or European Copernicus eco-system, bringing new players, such as large companies, public authorities, universities and research centres to increase your communication outreach and the quality of the hackathon.
- Involve your partners actively in your event format
Why Copernicus Hackathons?
- Boost the use of Copernicus data and EO in Europe
- Support the development of applications that address societal challenges such as climate change or natural disasters
- Spot the next-generation of space entrepreneurs, and help them get their business off the ground
What do you have to know as an applicant?
- Any organisation registered in Copernicus Participating Countries (EU28 + Norway and Iceland) can apply to become a local organiser via a permanent open call at copernicus.eu
- To get the best and most positively crazy outputs, you got to provide all necessary support to participants such as a nice venue, tasty catering, comfy accommodation, good equipment, cool coaching, access to relevant coaching and IT infrastructure. Communication leads to community! That’s why we expect you to promote the event and actively engage with the Copernicus eco-system
- The European Commission co-finances 85% of the costs of your event with up to EUR 20,000. You will have to finance the remaining 15% (with your own funds or with partners)
- Each hackathon winner will get direct access to the Copernicus Accelerator 2018 or 2019
The second application phase is open now! You can apply until 31 December 2018.
- Applicants to the Open Call are selected according to their ability to attract and train participants, their capability to involve supporting partners from the Copernicus eco-system and their experience in using and promoting EO programmes
This is your opportunity to become a front runner in the field of space innovation. APPLY now to get EUR 20,000 to organise your own Copernicus Hackathon!
Explore all additional and in-depth information along with the terms and requirements for applicants at hackathons.copernicus.eu/#details.